Bubble tea or boba is one of the trendy beverages today that has taken the world by storm. Everyone is loving the scrumptious taste of bubble tea not only in the US, UK, and China but also in Pakistan. So, if you are a Pakistani, get ready to taste something unique you would love for years!
But what if you don’t have any idea about bubble tea, or how to make bubble tea? We bet that some people don’t even know if bubble tea exists. Isn’t it?
Well, that’s not surprising! That’s what we are going to discuss today!
What is Bubble Tea?
Bubble tea is actually a strong concoction between ice, milk, black tea, fruits, fruit juices, and chewy tapioca pearls. This is an incredibly unique cold beverage which is a Taiwanese recipe and getting tremendous popularity in the UK, US, and Pakistan.
This delicious tea infusion is either served in a piping hot or iced cold and makes it an ever-so-quirky drink for your snack time. The tea is being served in small transparent cups that feature a fat straw for comfortable sips. It also comprises small tapioca balls (which are commonly called “pearls” or “boba”) that come shooting up which can be chewed while swallowing down the whole mixture. Its name is bubble tea because of these small and tasty tapioca balls as well as the floating “bubbles” created by continuous shaking and blending.
Who Invented Bubble Tea?
Well, it’s still not known that who has actually invented bubble tea, and certainly, there is no documented evidence about its invention and popularity. But as with other tea types, there is a story associated with it too. According to a rumor, bubble tea was first invented in Asia in the 1980s.
If you have ever visited Taiwan or Hong Kong, we are sure that you noticed some unique bubble teashops on every corner of the street.
What’s it Like to Drink?
Its taste is very unique, unlike traditional tea.
Tapioca pearls that sit at the bottom of the tea have a chewy consistency somewhere between jelly and chewing gum. These pearls have different flavors, and their color is black, but sometimes you can find them in white or transparent shades that make the tea much similar to a famous passionfruit.
What is the Taste of Bubble Tea?
Its taste is very yummy, sweet, and cool refreshing which is loved by every kid as well. The bubble tea comes in various flavors as it has different flavors and fruits involved, so one can choose and create any flavor.
Recipe of Bubble Tea:
Have a look at the recipe for Bubble tea. You can easily make it at home as well.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add some boba in it and stir until the small pearls begin floating to the top of the water.
- Burn the heat to medium and then cook the boba for 15 minutes. After that, remove the pan from heat, cover it, and let the pearls sit for another 15 minutes.
- While the Boba is heating and cooking, create a mixture of simple sugar syrup to add a sweet taste and then cook the mixture again. To do this, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and then mix 150g of sugar until it gets dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- While the boba is cooking, allow the tea to cool completely before making the Boba. Bring 240ml of water to a boil. Remove it from heat and then add the Earl Grey teabag(s). Use one teabag for regular-strength bubble tea or two for a stronger flavor. Remove the tea bag after 15 minutes and chill.
- Once you are finished cooking boba, make sure you drain them from water and then shift it to a small bowl. After that, pour the sugar syrup you created over the top until all the boba is mixed. Let them sit until they are at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In the end, pour the tea into a glass and mix Boba. You can also include milk for a creamy Bubble tea, juice for a fruity tea, or leave simple and then add a little extra water. And your tea is ready to drink!
Interesting recipe, right? Let’s try making it at home or if you visit Taiwan or UK, do not forget to taste this yummy mixture of fruits, milk, and small pearls.